Water Quality Analyses (WQA) with EPA Concurrence of MDE's Findings: Town Creek

Town Creek is located in Allegany County, Maryland and flows south from its headwaters in Pennsylvania until it discharges into the Upper Potomac River.  The drainage area of the watershed is 164.9 mi2 (100,554 acres).  Of the total 100,554 acres in the watershed, 44,292 acres (44%) are located in the Maryland portion of the basin.

Town Creek (basin code 02140512) was first identified on the 1996 303(d) list, submitted to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) by the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE), as being impaired by nutrients and sediments. Impacts to biological communities were identified on the 2002 and 2004 303(d) lists.

The report available below provides an analysis of recent monitoring data to address whether or not the watershed is still impaired by nutrients.  The study demonstrates that both applicable criterion for nutrients and the designated uses supported by this criterion are being met in the Town Creek 8-digit basin; therefore, a TMDL is not required. Barring the receipt of any contradictory future data, this report will be used to support the removal of the Town Creek 8-digit basin from Maryland’s 303(d) list for nutrients. 

Although the waters of Town Creek do not display signs of eutrophication, the State reserves the right to require future controls in the Town Creek watershed if evidence suggests nutrients from the basin are contributing to downstream water quality problems. Other substances not addressed at this time, but identified on Maryland’s 303(d) list as impairing the Town Creek 8-digit basin, will be addressed in the future. 

WQA of Eutrophication for Town Creek, Allegany County, Maryland

(EPA Concurrence: August 10, 2006)

EPA's Decision Letter

EPA's Decision Letter

Main Report 

WQA_Town_Cr_eutro.pdf (790 KB)

Comment Response Document

CRD_Town_Cr_eutro.pdf (10 KB)

Contact Information

Please direct questions or comments concerning this project to Maryland's TMDL Program at (410) 537-3818.